Celtic Bart

my life ~ celtic tiger ~ random thoughts

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Threading Ambush

Another day, another story. So yesterday i decided to get another shave. Found a nice barber shop, the guy didn't speak much english but smiled a lot so i decided to give it a go. Very good with the blade, i was impressed. My shave was coming to a close, when he opened up the drawer next to me and pulled out a long string...about a meter in length and folded it. Now the following paragraph happened faster than you can read it.

My first thought at seeing this long string was that he wanted to floss my teeth. Just a natural reaction after having my dentist floss my teeth over the years. Before i could open my mouth and to say "Ahhh", he started 'threading' the tiny hairs left on my upper cheak after the shave. Shock is the only way to describe it, then pain. This man was fast...with my eyes closed all i could hear is the thread spinning. Then i felt pain all over my face...and a few seconds later it just stopped. I opened my eyes, the smiley barber exclaimed "beautiful". A quick look in the mirror and i quickly realized that not only did i get a shave but also an eyebrow threading. Wowzers. Luckily, he only 'cleaned them up' instead of doing some kind of shaping.

I walked down the street back to my hostel, passing by other barber shops and witnessed many more egyptian men getting this done. Back home this threading business is reserved for women, homosexuals and metrosexuals. But here, it seems to be the norm, along with pairs of straight men walking down the street with their arms locked. I think i have a good idea for the next (metro) GQ ad...how about David Beckem and Robbie Williams walking into a movie premier together? (BTW, as i type this, there's a 6 or 7 year old kid having a smoke next to me).

Today i took a train with the 'locals' from Aswan to Luxor...entire ride cost me 1 euro. To put that in perspective, if you take the 'tourist train' then this same journey would cost 25Euro.

Peace from the middle east.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    too funny...i bet your eyebrows have never looked so good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home